Editor’s Choice: Scroll below for our monthly blend of mainstream and alternative news and views in January 2023.
Note: Excerpts are from the authors’ words except for subheads and occasional “Editor’s notes” such as this.
- New York Times, Lula Becomes Brazil’s President, With Bolsonaro in Florida
- New York Times, U.S. Pours Money Into Chips, but Even Soaring Spending Has Limits
- New York Times, Benedict XVI, First Modern Pope to Resign, Dies at 95
- Washington Post, Analysis: How Benedict’s death could reshape the Catholic Church
- New York Times, Through his nightly addresses, Volodymyr Zelensky has shaped the narrative of the war in Ukraine and rallied its allies
- Washington Post, A gruesome murder case in India pits traditional values against modern love
U.S. Politics, Elections, Economy, Governance
- New York Times, The ‘Red Wave’ Washout: How Skewed Polls Fed a False Election Narrative, Jim Rutenberg, Ken Bensinger and Steve Eder
- New York Times, The Invention of Elise Stefanik
- Washington Post, The talented Mr. Santos: A congressman-elect’s unraveling web of deception
- Washington Post, The Past, Rediscovered: When the House needed two months and 133 votes to elect a speaker
- World Crisis Radio, Commentary and Advocacy: McCarthy still lacks the votes to be elected Speaker, so Democrats must pre-empt MAGA chaos and subversion with a Coalition Speaker! Webster G. Tarpley
U.S. Courts, Crime, Regulation
- New York Times, Investigation: A Charity Tied to the Supreme Court Offers Donors Access to the Justices, Jo Becker and Julie Tate
- Washington Post, Chief justice ignores one of the most controversial Supreme Court terms in his annual report, Robert Barnes
- Washington Post, Suspect in killings of Idaho students expects to be ‘exonerated,’ lawyer says
- Washington Post, ‘You’re a slave’: Inside Louisiana’s forced prison labor and a failed overhaul attempt
More On Pope’s Passing and Potential Church Transitions
- New York Times, Pope Benedict XVI Dies, Live Updates: Benedict Will Be Buried at St. Peter’s Basilica
- Washington Post, Opinion: Benedict was America’s pope, David Von Drehle
- Washington Post, Which papal funeral traditions apply to a former pope?
- New York Times, In Bucha, a Final Rampage Served as a Coda to a Month of Atrocities
- New York Times, Russian Airstrikes Leave Ukrainians Few Options but to Endure
- New York Times, Explosions Shake Kyiv as Ukrainians Prepare for the New Year
- New York Times, Clergymen or Spies? Churches Become Tools of War in Ukraine, Andrew E.